Special Guardianship Orders

If you have a child in placement with you for more than a year, the local authority may well approach you to take out a Special Guardianship Order (SGO).

An SGO transfers parental responsibility to you as carers, although there may still be some contact arrangement made with the birth family, if the court feels this is in the child’s interests.

If you are approached by the child’s social worker to consider Special Guardianship, it is very important that you ask for a meeting at which your supervising social worker is present so that a discussion can take place about whether this is in the best interests of the child and yourselves.

Under an SGO, the local authority will no longer be responsible for the child and therefore would no longer conduct regular visits and reviews etc. Financial arrangements are agreed between you and the local authority but are likely to be similar to the fostering allowance you have been receiving. However, you would also no longer be a TACT foster carer and as such  would no longer have the support provided by TACT from your supervising social worker.